A Dean's Certification (also sometimes identified as a College Officials Report) is verification that you, as a SF State student, have not been subject to any disciplinary actions or proceedings. These letters are usually required by graduate and professional schools, state bar associations, government agencies, or independent agencies when applying for admission or employment. Most of these institutions will provide you with a form for you to fill out and the Office of the Dean of Students to complete. Our office will fill out the form, or attach our own letter when applicable.
Dean's Certifications may be requested in-person, by mail (1600 Holloway Ave, 403 Student Services Building, San Francisco, CA 94132), fax (415-338-0900), or email us at: email@example.com
If ordering in-person, you may stop by the office at 403 Student services Building. Please bring a copy of your unofficial transcript and any accompanying forms from the institutions for which you are requesting Dean's Certification.
If ordering by mail, fax, or email, please include a copy of your unofficial transcript and a letter from you which includes:
- Your full name while attending SF State
- University ID number (or date of birth if you do not remember your UID)
- Phone number and email address
- Name(s) and address(es) of the Institutions who should be sent Dean's Certification
- Indicate if Dean's Certification should be mailed, faxed, or held for in-person pickup.
- Your letter must also include the statement: "I authorize the Office of the Dean of Students at San Francisco State University to release the information necessary to complete the aforementioned college questionnaire(s)."
The letter MUST be signed and dated. Any Dean's Certification requests without the above statement accompanied by your signature will not be processed and completed.
It will take approximately 2-3 business days to complete the Certification forms and get them in to the US mail or sent by fax. If you would like to pick them up, be sure to indicate that on your request and we will hold them for you.
If you have any questions about this process, you may call (415) 338-2032 during normal business hours, Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 5:00pm.