We're still here to help you!
TEMPORARY OPERATIONS: Due to the change in campus operations in response to COVID-19, live Dean-On-Call appointments are available over Zoom.
Spring 2021 Dean-on-Call Drop-In Hours over Zoom are during the following times:
- Mondays, 10am-12pm
- Tuesdays, 10am-12pm
- Wednesdays, 3pm-5pm
- Thursdays, 12pm-2pm
- Fridays – 12pm-2pm
During the above times, you may drop-in to meet with us in our Zoom Meeting Room, no appointment necessary.
Please reach out to us by phone (415-338-2032) or email (email@example.com).
Please tell us the following information:
- Your Name
- SF State ID
- Phone and Email, and best way to contact you
- Brief description of what you need
We will have a Dean-On-Call get back to you!
PLEASE NOTE: Emergency Meal Cards are still being distributed at SSB 403. Reserve your card here prior to coming in. Please note there is a two-card maximum per student, per semester.
The Dean-On-Call Program is a means to provide real-time support to students who may be experiencing difficulties in navigating the university environment or being successful as a student. Currently, the group of administrators who serve in this rotation represent several areas within the Student Affairs & Enrollment Management (SAEM) Cabinet area. These administrators provide consistent and comprehensive coverage from 8am-5pm, Monday through Friday, in Student Services Building (SSB) 403. Each administrator comes with a wealth of professional knowledge and experience and engages in ongoing training to continue to provide the best service to students who are looking for support and guidance.
This initiative serves to support students through five (5) primary approaches:
- Case Management - This approach is designed to support a student through the entirety of a situation. This may involve helping the student identify the correct offices or individuals to connect with and assisting the student in developing a plan to resolve the concern that brought them to the office.
- Ombuds - While the campus does not have an official Ombudsperson for students, this approach is designed to help a student identify what the concern is actually about, and explore the pros and cons the student should consider when deciding how to move forward and toward resolution.
- Advocacy - We realize that students are often looking to be heard and or affirmed in their thought process and feelings. Oftentimes, some of the most meaningful work we can do with students is to help them find their voice and give them the confidence to advocate for themselves.
- Referral - Student concerns may initially present as one thing, but after listening and focusing on what is being both said and unsaid, the student may need to be referred to a variety of resources on or off campus. The goal of this particular approach is to make the appropriate referral the first time we engage with a student.
- Basic Needs - Many of the resources available to students through the Basic Needs Initiative are distributed through the Dean-on-Call Program including Meal Cards, Gator Crisis Housing, snacks, shower kits, laundry kits, and more. We can help match you to resources on campus.
The Dean-On-Call Program is not a substitute for counseling or mental health services, however, having the attention of a dedicated administrator may be the necessary touchpoint for a student to more clearly identify which resource they may benefit from in the short term.
Sometimes students are looking for Campus Resources available to them. You may also find the Quick Reference List for Student Concerns & Inquiries page helpful. But please feel free to Drop-in or inquire further -- we are here to help.
To refer a student to the Dean-On-Call Program, simply advise the student to contact us by phone, email, or they may speak directly with the Dean-On-Call during our Drop-in hours listed above. You may also submit a referral to Dean-on-Call program.
For those who are experiencing an unexpected financial crisis, please visit the HOPE Crisis Fund page.
If you have further questions about the Dean-on-Call program, please reach out to the Dean of Students Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (415) 338-2032.