With the amount of applications we are receiving due to issues related to COVID-19, we are reviewing applications as quickly as possible. Reviews and, if approved, check processing is taking longer than usual. Please allow for approximately a week to receive your HOPE Fund award.
A crisis may be an unexpected life event or a circumstance that occurs in an unforeseen manner (out of the control of the student), that can derail hope and leave a student in a critical situation. The monies awarded shall be determined by the appropriate DOS administrator and is based on the funding available at the time of the request.
To help students manage unexpected crisis situations, SF State has established the SF State HOPE Crisis Fund (HOPE = Help, Opportunity & Pathway to Empowerment), a fund that assists students with financial support when they need it most. This fund supports students who are undergoing a crisis that leaves them in a situation that is beyond their control. Receiving help from the HOPE Crisis Fund could be the deciding factor that allows a student to stay on track to graduation. Students who receive assistance will realize that they’re not alone, that someone cares.
Recipients of this fund are not required to pay back the awarded monies, but are instead, encouraged to make a donation, of any dollar amount, to this fund when they are able, as a means to continue to offer this type of crisis support to future SF State students. If you would like to donate please click here.
Additional consideration may be given to upper division undergraduate students within one (1) semester of graduation. Funds can be used to cover educational expenses, including but not limited to tuition/fees/books/supplies, as well as unexpected medical expenses not covered by insurance or Student Health Services, travel expenses for family emergencies, replacement of items lost to theft/fire damage, etc.
Students who meet the following criteria will be considered:
- All current SF State students are eligible to apply for the Hope Crisis Fund;
- Can provide supporting documentation regarding the crisis situation;
- Have worked with Financial Aid to increase their award prior to HOPE Fund Loan application;
- Have explored personal loans prior to submitting a HOPE Fund Loan application;
- Are enrolled (full or part time) at the time of loan application and in good student standing (academic and disciplinary);
- If applying between semesters, have been enrolled during the previous term and are enrolled the following term;
- Awarded funds are considered taxable income;
- If approved, the HOPE Crisis Fund recipient will be sent required paperwork to fill out. The expediency of having their check issued will depend on the ability of the recipient to return the required paperwork in a timely manner.
Once your application is received, it will be reviewed by a member of the Dean of Students Office. Following the initial review, you may be contacted to schedule a 20-30-minute appointment to meet with one or more members of the Dean of Students Office to discuss your application. If your loan is approved, you will be provided next steps on how to access the monies.
For more information, contact the Dean of Students Office at email@example.com or (415) 338-3888.
*Application approval is not guaranteed. Additionally, applicants should know that a request for a specific dollar amount does not guarantee that the applicant will receive the full amount requested.
Each case is considered individually and is subject to funds available for distribution.