The Dean-On-Call Program is a means to provide support to students who may be experiencing difficulties in navigating the university environment or being successful as a student. Currently, the group of administrators who serve in this rotation represent several areas within the Student Affairs & Enrollment Management (SAEM) Cabinet area. Each administrator comes with a wealth of professional knowledge and experience and engages in ongoing training to continue to provide the best service to students who are looking for support and guidance.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: In-person Dean-On-Call appointments are not available at this time. You may reach out to us by phone (415-338-2032) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and someone will get back to you. We're still here to help you!
Please tell us the following information:
- Your Name
- SF State ID
- Phone and Email, and the best way to contact you
- Tell us what you need
We will have a Dean-On-Call get back to you!
This program serves to support students through four (4) primary approaches:
- Case Management - This approach is designed to support a student through the entirety of a situation. This may involve helping the student identify the correct offices or individuals to connect with and assisting the student in developing a plan to resolve the concern that brought them to the office.
- Ombuds - While the campus does not have an official Ombudsperson for students, this approach is designed to help a student identify what the concern is actually about, and explore the pros and cons the student should consider when deciding how to move forward and toward resolution.
- Advocacy - We realize that students are often looking to be heard and or affirmed in their thought process and feelings. Oftentimes, some of the most meaningful work we can do with students is to help them find their voice and give them the confidence to advocate for themselves.
- Referral - Student concerns may initially present as one thing, but after listening and focusing on what is being both said and unsaid, the student may need to be referred to a variety of resources on or off campus. The goal of this particular approach is to make the appropriate referral the first time we engage with a student.
The Dean-On-Call Program is not a substitute for counseling or mental health services, however, having the attention of a dedicated administrator may be the necessary touchpoint for a student to more clearly identify which resource they may benefit from in the short term.
Sometimes students are looking for Campus Resources available to them. You may also find the Student Concerns & Complaints page and the Quick Reference List for Student Concerns & Inquiries page helpful. But please feel free to inquire further -- we are here to help.
To refer a student to the Dean-On-Call Program, simply advise the student to contact us by phone, email, or they may speak directly with the Dean-On-Call, by setting up an appointment. You may also submit a referral to Dean-on-Call program.
If you have further questions about the Dean-on-Call program, please reach out to the Dean of Students Office at email@example.com or by calling (415) 338-2032.